greatimaginationsbekka

Bekka @ Great Imaginations

Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award

I was tagged by Lili from Lili's Reflections. As you all know, I looooove surveys and tags!

Guidelines

1. Thank the blogger that nominated you and link back to their website.
2. Post the award's logo on your blog.
3. Answer the ten questions you have been asked.
4. Nominator ten other bloggers and ask them ten other questions.

Questions

1. When and why did you start blogging?

I started personal blogging years and years ago - about 11 years ago, maybe more. But I started book blogging (blogging publicly) in February 2011. I read The Dust of 100 Dogs by AS King and I just really, really wanted to start documenting my reading. I wanted to talk about D100D. I wanted to connect with other readers.

2. What is your favorite genre and why?

My gut says 'dark contemporary' but when I think about it, I've been reading fantasy a lot lately. So I guess both. Either super real or not real at all lol.

Contemporary because that genre helped me get through my adolescence and teenage years and without those books who knows where I'd be now.  Fantasy because you get the character development and interactions, with the added bonus of a (hopefully) entirely new world. Who doesn't love that?

3. Recommend a book that you love that you think deserves more hype.

Poison by Bridget Zinn. It's a wonderful, hilarious romp of a fantasy novel. I loved everything about it.

4. Aside from reading, what are your favorite hobbies?

I play a ton of video games and I am a movie nut. I watch way more movies than I read books. It's kind of intense. Also, I love writing and am in the middle of an enormous fantasy WIP.

5. Top three books you have ever read:

RUDE LILI IS RUDE. This is impossible, so I'm going to narrow it down to three that have changed my life:

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers
The Half Life of Molly Pierce by Katrina Leno
I Was A Teenage Fairy by Francesca Lia Block

6. Who are your favorite authors and why?

Francsca Lia Block. All of her books have been so important to me in different ways. I Was A Teenage Fairy in particular. It came to me in one of the darkest periods of my life and helped sustain me and pull me through it. I wouldn't be who I am today without having read that book.

Robin LaFevers because her books helped me realize 1) my love of historical fantasy, and 2) that people want to read about dark, twisted girls with dark, twisted paths, doing dark, twisted things.

Nova Ren Suma because all of her books are pure magic. Every word she writes is another spell cast. There is literally no one else in the world like her. Her books seems like they were written for my soul.

Katrina Leno because she put words to what I have lived my whole life. Her book told me that I wasn't alone and that changed me entire life. I am not exaggerating.

7. What is the best book you have read so far this month?

I mean, I'm not done it yet, but I'm preeeeeetty sure I'm going to say I'll Give You the Sun.

8. What book is responsible for making you the reader you are today?

I'd say Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. It didn't shape what kind of reader I am - it made me a reader in the first place.

9. Do you collect anything other than books?

I do! I collect movies. I collect cardinals (anything with cardinals on it. anything.)

10. Tell us a weird thing about yourself that we probably wouldn't know.

I have mirror-touch synesthesia. I can feel what others are feeling? It's weird. For instance, if Mike, say, cuts himself shaving and I see it, I feel pain on that exact spot on my face. But it's not just pain - a LOT of it has to do with texture of fabric. If I see, like, someone pulling on hosiery, I can feel it like I putting it on myself. Growing up I had NO idea that this wasn't a normal thing.

Who I Tag:
You! Yes, you.

Questions:

1. What is your biggest reading pet peeve?
2. Do you prefer paperback, hardcover, or ebook?
3. What is the very first book you remember reading?
4. If you could experience reading one book for the first time again, what book would you pick?
5. What is your favorite cover trend? Show some examples.
6. If you had to pick one genre to read for the rest of your life, which would it be?
7. Who are your top three authors?
8. What has been your favorite read this year?
9. What book or book series would you like to see made into a television show?
10. Tell us one weird fact about you.