greatimaginationsbekka

Bekka @ Great Imaginations

Mid-Year Book Freak Out

I found this survey at (Un)Conventional Book Reviews and if you know me you know I luuuuuuuurve surveys.

1. Best book you’ve read so far in 2014.

This is tough, but I'll go with The Half Life of Molly Pierce by Katrina Leno.  It's about a girl with dissociative identity disorder.  The way the mental illness was handled in this book.. there are just no words to describe the way this book hit me.  This book has changed my life.

2. Best sequel you've read so far in 2014.

Heir of Fire  by Sarah J Maas.  Hands down.

3. New release you haven’t read yet, but want to.

Broken Hearts, Fences, and Other Things to Mend by Katie Finn.  Eternally regretting not requesting an ARC of this!

4. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year.

Of the books that I don't have:  They All Fall Down by Roxanne St Claire

ARCs I have:  Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers

5. Biggest disappointment.

The Summer I Wasn't Me by Jessica Verdi. I expected a book that would challenge me and confront me with views I've never exposed myself to.  What I got was.. not that.  Rampant child and sexual abuse, boring characters, unrealistic legal situations, and romance trumping everything else.

6. Biggest surprise.

Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta.  I tried to read this years ago and it didn't work at all.  But then we read it again this year for a Forgotten Fridays post and it killed me. All-time favorite, right there.

7. Favorite new author. (Debut or new to you)

Megan Abbott.  Absolutely LOVED Dare Me.  The Fever, however, was a let down.  But I know her writing is beautiful and amazing and I can't wait to read more from her.

8. Newest fictional crush.

Dimitri Belikov.  I've had the absolute pleasure of reading the first two installments in the Vampire Academy series, and Dimitri is MINE.

9. Newest favorite character.

Vee from The Walls Around Us by Nova Ren Suma.  Not quite the nicest person in the world, but fascinating.  Loved reading about her.

10. Book that made you cry.

The Vanishing Season by Jodi Lynn Anderson.  HOLY PAIN.

11. Book that made you happy.

Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins.  OBVIOUSLY.  This book just filled me with a bubbly joy and I could not stop smiling after reading.  These books have completely taken me by surprise.

12. Favorite book to film adaptation you saw this year.

I haven't seen that many this year. And it may not be my favorite, but I was most pleasantly surprised by Divergent.

13. Favorite review you’ve written this year.

Hahahaha.  Hahaha.  Ha.  I hate my reviews.  I write them, schedule them, and never look at them again.

14. Most beautiful book you’ve bought so far this year (or received)

Oh everything about this book's design, not just the cover.  The spine.  The book itself under the dust jacket.  The chapter headings.  THE MAPS.  Oh god, I have to go look at it again.

15. What books do you need to read by the end of the year?

Obviously as many ARCs as possible, since I DID request them and everything.  Other than that?  Mortal Heart (which I understand fits into the first category but there you go.)  The rest of the Vampire Academy books.  I want to reread Blood and Chocolate and all the Harry Potter books.  Oh and I want to read Between the Spark and the Burn too.  I guess I should probably go do that...